Saturday, November 15, 2008

In a "Fallish" Kinda of Mood-Squash Casserole

Fall has always been my favorite season. I enjoying creating some of my favorites comfort foods like broccoli casserole, spinach quiche and corn chowder(pure comfort foods.) Growing up with a mother who was a genious in the kitchen (she still is by the way), I learned how to make some of the simplest comfort foods--the first being broccoli casserole followed by bean casserole and my favorite squash casserole.

The first time I ever made my famous squash casserole was for my mother's 60th birthday. Unlike other casseroles that I had made, I did not have mix Campbell soup mix into the mixture.

Recipe for Squash Casserole (a fun dish to serve on a cool, fall day).

1-1/2 lbs. of yellow squash
1 large red bell pepper
1 package of shredded chedder cheese
1/4 cup of cornbread stuffing (I prefer Pepridge Farm)
1 tablespoon of garlic
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste

Preparation:
Wash and cut squash into thin circular slices.
Wash and slice bell peppers into long skinny pieces.
Spray casserole pan with PAM or a nonstick spray.
Turn oven on "Bake" at 350 degrees.

On the stove:

In a wok or saute pan, place tablespoon oil on medium heat.
Once the oil is warm, drop in garlic.
Let the garlic turn pink. Once it turns pink, drop in the squash and bell pepper slices.
Cook until tender.

Pour squash into casserole dish.
Create a layer of cheese on the next layer.
Place bread crumbs on on top of the cheese and put into the oven for 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment