Sunday, October 25, 2009

Taking a Step Outside My Comfort Zone



Last Saturday, I attended my first belly dancing lessons class. I decided to sign up for belly dancing lessons because I wanted to do something fun and different that took me out of my comfort zone--and it did!

I have two left feet. I am not coordinated, and I have no rhythm. But that didn't stop me. While it took me awhile to grasp the steps and the assistance of the instructor (literally holding my hand and dancing with me acros the floor)--it didn't matter. At the end of the class I felt like I had accomplished something. And, when I thanked my instructor, she told me "You've got it. You looked great out there." Two years ago I would have never even considered doing something that I didn't feel comfortable with, but things have changed since then.

My first year in Washington D.C. was extremely difficult. Between an unsatisfying job, two car accidents and unrented home in Charleston, I thought I had made the biggest mistake of my life, but I didn't. Change (even in a place that you feel like you know so well) can be extremely hard. even if you want it so badily, but you learn to adjust, surround yourself with people who care, and find things that you enjoy to get through the days:


  • Try something that you have never done before. The first risk I ever took was to try something different. I literally did by trying a Mexican delicacy-grasshoppers in cheese sauce. They weren't as bad as I thought they would be, but will I ever eat them again? Probably not.
  • Try something you've tried before, but with a different attitude. A few weeks ago, I saw a special with a local belly dancing studio. It was a crash course in belly dancing. I had taken a four week class in Charleston, but I quit by the third class. But, this time, I came out of the class with the desire to learn more. And, I find myself practicing the movements, remembering my in instructors tips like "say the steps out loud."

So, for me 2009 has definitely been a year of "getting to know myself." I have learned a lot of myself thanks to the risks that I have taken over the last year. The steps that I am taking are having an impact on my confidence, the quality of my work and a change of attitude.

What about you? What actions have you taken to step out of your comfort zone.







3 comments:

  1. Hey Sherri,

    I loved reading your blog. I can tell you from my current experiences that I can relate. I moved to Florida, sweating with the oldies, LOL married a man and went back to college. It is hard. It is lonely, even with my marriage. I moved to Florida alone and I still feel alone. I miss all of our fun friends in Charleston.
    Lucky for me, like you, I have my doggie. Your story made me feel better. I feel as if there is hope again.

    I am taking a full load of classes, but nothing as fun as belly dancing. I think I will try a dancing class. Especially if I get to meet fun ladies like you there.
    I look forward to hearing more about the new adventures of Sherri.

    -Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comments. The experience has been awesome.

    ReplyDelete