Thursday, April 9, 2009

Spring in D.C.-Cherry Blossoms Bring Out the Best of Everything!



Spring in Washington, D.C. It's my favorite time in the nation's capital. Why? The misery of winter has faded away along with the gray skies, snow, sleet, rain and wind (well, the wind is still around) ...replaced with longer days, warmer temperatures and cherry blossoms! When the cherry blossoms bloom so does the city. There is a sense of excitement in the air and you can see it and feel it everywhere. Scarfs, winter coats, and unhappy people have been replaced by smiling faces in bright colors-happy to be outside.



Restaurants create menus around the festivities. Bakeries create commemorative cherry blossom cupcakes in honor of the festival (check out Hello Cupcake) and local mixologists concoct unique cocktails around them.


But, it's the cherry blossoms themselves that always steal the spotlight. Thousands of people from across the nation and abroad always find themselves in awe as they walk through groves of cherry blossoms, search for the perfect spots to have picnics and click hundreds of photos, hoping to get the perfect one.


This was my fourth time to experience the cherry blossom festival in D.C. The first time I had ever seen these delicate flowers was in Okinawa, Japan, in February. I was only a teenager then and don't think I appreciated them the way I do now. As we meandered through the tidal basin to the Jefferson Memorial, our final destination, I found myself experiencing so many emotions--happiness, peace, excitement. I don't know if it was the pink that tickled me or simply knowing that spring had finally arrived, but I can tell you this-it's my favorite time of year in this amazing city!
































No comments:

Post a Comment