Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Orangery: A Delightful Tea in Kensington Garden



It was an unseasonably, warm, September day. I had just returned from Windsor where my best friend and I toured the grounds of Windsor Castle followed by a scrumptious lunch at a local pub. We made our way back to London by train to our final stop before making our way through England.


Before leaving for London, one of my dearest friends, Rachel, had presented me with a list of "must dos" while in London. On the top of the list was tea at the Orangery. "You cannot leave London without having tea here", she insisted,pointing it on her list-- and she was right.




After a short tour of Kensington Palace, we meandered throught Kensington gardens to the Orangery. I was in awe when we entered the restaurant. The ambience was a combination of sophistication and ultra noveau. The restaurant's decor was very simple with white tablecloth tables and properly laid china. The crowd mixed with elderly English ladies in their finest teatime attire to young families. Our server was young and donned in all black.

Once we were seated, I took a look at the view--it was breathtaking. From our seats, we had the perfect view of Kensington Gardens.I ordered a pot of tea with a slice of carrot cake and a couple cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches while my best friend indulge in a slice of Belgian Chocolate Cake. "I am sorry, but I cannot resist," she said.
Both of us enjoyed our afternoon tea that day. Finally, it was time to leave, and we made our way through the gardens and later through Hyde Park ...the perfect way to say our farewells to London.
Cheers!
























No comments:

Post a Comment