Sunday, December 14, 2008

Scrumptious Roasted Chicken-The Perfect Holiday Entree

This past weekend, my friends and I hosted a very special holiday dinner. I'd been wanting to make roasted chicken for awhile now. I've made so many different types of chickens in the past-chicken curry, tandoori chicken, chicken tacos, fried chicken--I'd made everything but roasted chicken.

I purchased a whole chicken (not the roasting one) over the weekend. After cleaning it thoroughly, I allowed it to drain in a colander while I made the brine. I combined a cup of boiling water with half a 1/4 cup of salt. Once it dissolved, I pulled it off the burner and poured it into a measuring cup to cool. Once the brine was cooled, I poured it on the kitchen and inside the cavitiy.

The chicken soaked in brine overnight.

The following morning, I poured the remaining brine out, pat dried the chicken and marinated it with the following:

Lemon pepper
black pepper
fresh garlic minced
paprika
1 lemon

The chicken marinated for about 5 hours. An hour and a half before I was to serve it, I placed it the oven at 350 degrees (remember, it takes about 6 minutes to warm up). I poked the lemon, cut the stems and placed it inside the chicken's cavity, and cooked it for approximately 90 minutes. Once it cooked, I allowed it to sit in the oven for about 10 minutes before carving it. (FYI: to check that the chicken is cooked, simply stick it with a knife and make sure that the juices are clear and the meat is tender).

Carving the chicken was also a first, but it turned out to be fantastic. It simply melted in our mouths!

Happy Holidays!

XOXO,
Indian Girl in the Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment