Monday, March 23, 2009

Exciting News: My Mom Takes Her Cooking Talents to the Front of the Class

I am really excited to announce that my mother, Mrs. Kuki Bakshi, will be returning to the front of the class, teaching Charlestonians how to make authentic Indian dinners. She began teaching at local gourmet shop and cooking school called In Good Taste when I was only nine years old, but motherhood took over, and she stopped teaching until last year. But, then again, the daily grind of running our family's business took over her life again, and she had to put her teaching aside yet once again. But, now that my parents have officially retired (my father is a retired orthopedic surgeon who later ran a local hardware store)-she's back on track. And, I am really excited about her going back into something she really enjoys, and I love the benefits of being her apprentice (they're delicious!).

When people think about preparing Indian cuisine, two things pop in their head--spicy and difficult. Mama will be the first one to tell you that compared to other foods it can be time consuming, but it's not always spicy. She has spent years honing her recipes, and simplifying them in the process (thanks to me and now my sister-in-law).

I learned how to cook from my mom (of course), but I am not the only one. She was first featured in the Evening Post in 1986. Her recipes have also been featured in Audrey Magazine, a national Asian-American women magazine and Charleston Magazine, which not only featured her, but our entire Charleston family celebrating Diwali, the Indian Festival of Lights.

Details about her classes will be up soon, but I can you tell you this, it will be just in time for grilling season! Stay tune for more details. And, also be sure to check out clips and recipes from her classes on this blog later this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment