Saturday, March 21, 2009

What do we wish for ....

Last night, I watched one of my favorite movies, which also happens to be one of my favorite books: Under the Tuscan Sun. I don't know what it is about stories of Europe or stories of people who desert their tired, unhappy lives to somewhere new and different to revive them. In Under the Tuscan Sun, Francis Mayes finds herself unhappy and alone after a terrible divorce. During a trip to Tuscany, she bumps into a beautiful home owned by an Italian countess, makes a quick decision and and becomes the owner of this old home. Though, life isn't what she first pictured it to be--it becomes it. She is given everything she wishes, and in the meantime, she absorbs herself into a new culture, absolute strangers become best friends and the most important thing is that she finds happiness!


One of my other favorite books is called Almost French. I came across it at a bookstore one day, picked it up and couldn't put it down. Sarah, a freelance travel journalist, finds herself in Paris, after meeting a young, French journalist in Budapest who insists she must come to Paris. Wearing shorts and a t-shirt, she lands in Charles De Gaulle Airport, worried that she's made a huge mistake-but that all changes the minute she is greeted by her new friend who later becomes her husband! She learns the dos and don'ts have French life (and it's hysterical and eye-opening). She learns how not to walk out to grab breakfast in your sweats (even if you're just picking up breakfast from the local patisserie), or at a party, it's not proper to become bartender, refilling glasses of champagne. But, as she spends more and more time in Paris, she finds herself becoming a Parisian (well almost). It's a fun story and one that I am so happy that I bumped into.



I'd been living in Washington, D.C. for more than a year and it hasn't been easy. I have been torn between Charleston (my hometown) and D.C. I've been wanting to come home because I feel that I belong here, people know me, and respect me. I miss Charleston, but is it the right decision to return? I don't know now. Right now I am alone (well, it's me and Nikki) and D.C. can be a cold city, but isn't that how any new place can be? I've had more ups and downs, but isn't that everyone's story? It may not be Paris. It may not be Tuscan country, but each of these women found themselves again.

1 comment:

  1. You are such a good writer... love to read your stuff.
    Also you will find what is right for you in the meantime enjoy the ride because we always bump into the moment when we realize we have made it...

    ReplyDelete